Becoming a Certified BodyTalk Practitioner for Animals (CBP-A)
NOTE: Training in the BodyTalk Practitioner for Animals program is currently unavailable. The IBA greatly supports work with animals and is in the process of updating and re-establishing a training program to certify practitioners to work with animals.
The process of becoming a Certified BodyTalk Practitioner for Animals (CBP-A) is not difficult, but there are a few steps to the process. There is not a defined time frame in which this process must be completed, but many individuals take between 6 months and 2 years to become a CBP-A. It's up to you, your schedule, and how much you are able to focus on studying and practice. So, in order to become a CBP-A, you must complete the following:
- Complete the Linking Awareness Journey course.
- Complete the BodyTalk Fundamentals for Animals and Humans course.
- Become and maintain IBA Standard Membership.
- Complete and document at least fifty BodyTalk for Animals sessions, with at least 25 different animal clients (can be of the same species), without the use of protocol charts or manuals.
- Complete and document five case studies, using BodyTalk basic procedures and protocol concepts, without the charts, via a surrogate, for 5 different animal clients (can be of the same species). Each case study must include a minimum of 5 sessions per animal in person via a surrogate with a live animal present (remote/distance sessions will not be accepted).
- Documentation of sessions should demonstrate wide use of the BodyTalk techniques and will be reviewed by an examining CBIa prior to the exam.
- Receive a minimum of five BodyTalk sessions from a CBP and provide documented evidence of such.
- Study for the Fundamentals exam (Practice Exam and tips are located in the Members Area of the IBA website).
- Set up a time to take the Fundamentals Exam with any CBI-A (Certified BodyTalk Instructor for Animals).
- Take and pass with a 90% or better both the written and oral practical examination with an examining CBIa. The exam cost is $250 USD, payable to CBIa prior to start of exam and a $50 processing fee payable to the IBA upon submitting certification.
For complete details, please refer to the Fundamentals Exam Guidelines.
Once you successfully pass the Fundamentals exam, you are eligible and strongly encouraged to upgrade your Standard Membership to a Practicing membership to then be listed amongst the other BodyTalk professionals so that you can start receiving referrals directly from the IBA website.
- Complete 32 hours of IBA-Approved Continuing Education in the BodyTalk System™ within the two-year time period from the date you passed your Fundamentals Exam.
- Remain a member of the IBA.
- Adhere to the Code of Ethics of the IBA.